The Hogan of come-back

I am not an admirer of  Muhammad Ali but I am an ardent fan of Hulk Hogan. The reason is simple. In the late 1980s, almost every Malayali who worked in the Gulf returned with a couple of video cassettes of American wrestling. The availability of such cassettes abroad, especially places like Dubai and Sharjah, made Hogan popular among us. I don’t know much about American wrestling but I like Hogan.

I still remember an yellow-colour cassette my uncle got me from Dubai. The cover showed different poses of a heavy man with long white mustache and hair. What was special in Hogan compared to other wrestlers, you might ask. I like Hogan because he was an embodiment of defence. You would see him badly beaten up by rivals, blood oozing from his mouth but once he had decided to get up, no one could stop him. So much was the power to stage a come-back.

I have seen cricketers returning to form after a bad patch. I have seen business magnets making remarkable come-backs. But I have never seen anybody doing it the way Hogan did. One hundred per cent...

Hogan had a magical fighting spirit, covered with a strong frame of hope. I would never forget the scene in which the rival was almost lost the match, but suddenly two ladies with huge boobs rushed into the ring and started attacking Hogan. He didn't take it seriously, but later he lost his temper and caught hold of one. He then started removing her balloon top. She cried, and then pleaded with him. Finally, he let her run in her bra.

There should be a Hogan in everyone. The Hogan of come-back. There were moments I thought Hogan would never come back, but he would, making my entire calculations wrong. I don’t believe in god but I still believe in people like Hogan.

Once a newspaper published a picture of Ali and Hogan standing face-to-face at a function in the US. The caption read, Hogan staring at Ali asking "want to try a hand?".........something like that. I think Hogan could easily beat Ali although it is unfair to get into such a conclusion as they both belong to different styles.

Comments

Editor said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chandu said…
True. Hogan was my lucky card in the game of trump, and he had helped me make many come-backs from pathetic positions!
Girish Nair said…
I think almost all have the hogan of come back instinct, some dare and some dare not.
mtsaju said…
great....thanks, Chandu, Girish...

Popular posts from this blog

A Gandhian's 'vintage' collection

Silencer Boy

Thanks, Achebe...