Footloose in Ernakulam


A couple of years ago while walking through the busy M G Road in Ernakulam, my friend and I ran into two sex workers. We were drunk, heavily. Srikanth was then an active member of a group which organised seminars for sex workers all over Kerala. According to him, they (sex workers) are doing a great service to society. And in most cases, they act as a grievance cell for men who are in search of a close heart -- a cot where they can share ‘everything’, confess everything.

As we slowed down, a welcome gesture came from one of the ladies... The usual communication test began under the shades of neon. Srikanth was not interested in the ‘eye-gesture’ business. He looked sad and apologetic.
“S, I want to touch her feet, as a token of respect. Can you ask them?”, he requested.
The two ladies knew we would approach them.
“Hundred”, the elder one made a sensible move.

Fine, but how would I convince them about my friend’s unusual intention? I looked at the younger one, who looked new to the profession. The poor ladies didn’t understand when I first said “my friend wants to touch your feet… because your are doing a great service to the society.”

After hearing my plea, the elder one first laughed and then asked whether we would like to take them or not…I turned towards Srikanth who was waiting to perform the great act. It took ten minutes for me to somehow convince the two ladies, and finally the elder one agreed. “Five hundred”, she said and then raised her nylon sari a little with her right hand. The legs were now fully exposed in the high beams of passing vehicles, with a festival of wound marks and cracks.

I didn’t know what to do next but Srikanth knew it. He placed an already folded, wet currency note on my right hand. “Can you negotiate with this?,” he asked, for which I didn’t reply.
It was 10... O’ clock…

Comments

Great respect!!!!
Girish Nair said…
What happened next? Where did you went footloose? KSRTC Bus Stand?
janani sampath said…
and after tht.....????
Bimal said…
Saju, Your friend is right. They do a great service. Just see the sex related crime in Mumbai and in Kerala. Places like Sonaguchi do serve a need. Well, feminist may argue otherwise. The Netherlands, where prostitution in legalised, do not report exploitation of CSW by the police or others.
Unknown said…
Saju... I've heard this story but with a few changes though. :D
Nice one!

Popular posts from this blog

A Gandhian's 'vintage' collection

Silencer Boy

Thanks, Achebe...