The boy with a lantern

A ‘budding’ poet one day walked into my office at the Express Estates, Mount Road with a big dream. He wanted to translate the works of Michel Foucault into Tamil, and he wanted to know whether the New Sunday Express (the Sunday paper of the New Indian Express where I worked from 2000 to 2010) would carry it. It was a shocking news to me, as I was struggling with the French philosopher’s “The History of Sexuality” then. How would this gentleman translate Foucault into Tamil?, I wondered. I didn’t want to disappoint him. I told him I would check it with the editor and get back. I never told the matter to the editor. He neither reminded me about it, as poetry and short stories overtook Foucault in our later conversations. One day, he came to see me with a file full of sketches and a book. Titled “World’s Great Short Stories”, the book was an anthology of selected short stories written by some of the best authors of world literature. “Sir, this is for you. Please keep it,” he said. He soon opened the file and took out a set of sketches. “I am coming from Adimoolam sir’s house. He was busy when I met him in the morning. The table was full of papers with unfinished sketches. I am lucky. He has given me some good ones that he finished in the morning,” he said.
“Why don’t you keep some with you?,” he asked, and handed over some sketches to me. I never met that 'budding' poet after that. 
Even though I knew K M Adimoolam as a popular abstract artist, I never got a chance to see his works. So I kept the sketches in a new file and thought I would frame them whenever I could find time. Years passed, and I shifted four houses with the file. When Adimoolam died in 2008, I took out the sketches from the file to see whether they were safe. Bhima, a boy with a lantern, a deer and a man with a bird…They were all fine. Although I found a safe place for the sketches near the bookshelf, I didn’t make any attempt to frame them.
It was only when my seven-year-old started drawing a pumpkin on a paper which had dark sketch marks on the other side I decided to frame the sketches that the 'budding' poet gifted me in 2001. I didn’t shout at Mihika, my daughter, for scribbling on an important piece of art because it was I who had told her to use one-sided paper for her painting exercises. She didn’t want to return the paper as she almost finished drawing the pumpkin. For her, only the pumpkin side was important. So she kept on arguing for the pumpkin and, I, for the deer on the other side. Finally, I somehow managed to get the deer from her.
I don’t remember the face of the budding poet, but I still remember him for the sketches and Foucault-factor. A week ago, I tried to remember his name. No idea. Called a friend and former colleague, who responded positively: “Shanmugha Sundaram?”. I was surprised. “I haven’t forgotten the name because it's a nice name,” he said. 
I don’t know whether Shanmugha Sundaram had translated the works of Foucault into Tamil. But I have done my job. I got the four sketches framed today, thanks to SS and Adimoolam sir.

Comments

Sir, I enjoyed your experience and expect many such experiences. Jambulingam
mtsaju said…
Thanks, Jambulingam sir...

Popular posts from this blog

A Gandhian's 'vintage' collection

Silencer Boy

Thanks, Achebe...