Thanks, Achebe...

Eight years ago, I had a tough time inside Landmark. I spent almost an hour inside the bookstall, holding “Things Fall Apart” on my right hand and “Anthills of Savannah” on my left. Both the books had the name of the author 'Chinua' on top of the covers and 'Achebe' at the bottom. Between Chinua and Achebe, there was a line of praise, which read: “The Classic Bestseller With More Than 2 Million Copies in Print.” But the interesting part was the one at the bottom, written by Nadine Gordimer, a South African writer. “Chinua Achebe is gloriously gifted with the magic of an ebullient, generous, great talent.” Even though I wanted to buy “Anthills of Savannah” (I liked the title due to some strange reason), it was “Things Fall Apart” that finally found a place in my bag. Unlike in the cases of Kafka and Pablo Neruda, no one really introduced me to the world of Achebe. I don’t know how Achebe entered my world though. Was it because of the African tag?
Back home, I started reading “Things Fall Apart.” Even though Achebe’s prose was simple and straightforward, I had problems with names of people and places he used in the novel. Words like Okonkwo, the name of the lead character, and Umuofia, the village, were a bit difficult to read. But soon Okonkwo and I became friends. We trekked through the Lower Niger, which ended only in the last page, 209. Considered one of the best novels in African literature, the book exposed the complexities of a strong man whose life is dominated by fear and anger. Reading “Things Fall Apart” was a great experience.
A couple of days after Chinua Achebe died in Boston on March 21, I ran a search through my bookshelf to see whether “Things Fall Apart” was safe there. It was. But I was surprised to see a fold-mark on top of Page-74. I hate folding pages, and I don’t like anyone doing it on my books. But here, the folding in a way helped me reread an interesting conversation:
“All their customs are upside-down. They do not decide bride-price as we do, with sticks. They haggle and bargain as if they were buying a goat or a cow in the market.”
“That is very bad,” said Obierika’s eldest brother. “But what’s good in one place is bad in another place. In Umunso they do not bargain at all, not even with broomstick. The suitor just goes on bringing bags of cowries until his in-laws tell him to stop. It is a bad custom because it always leads to a quarrel.”
“The world is large,” said Okonkwo. “I have even heard that in some tribes a man’s children belong to his wife and her family.”
“That cannot be,” said Machi. “You might as well say that the woman lies on top of the man when they are making the children.”

Comments

T K Sreevalsan said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
T K Sreevalsan said…
Much like what Saju seems to believe, 'Things Fall Apart' should be one of the most gripping literary works for most of us.

Unlike my blogger friend, though, I vividly remember how, when and where I stumbled upon this African novel. It was a dozen years ago when I was already bowled over by Chinua Achebe's compatriot Ben Okri that I chanced upon the senior author's name -- and soon found his masterpiece in a bookstall in Chennai, where I was working those days.

Soon I happened to find my future wife. During our initial chats, the girl revealed that the second name of her email ID was ajnabi. Impulsively (and inexplicably) it reminded me of Chinua's second name; so much so I asked her (jokingly) if she was Nigerian.

Late last year, while surfing an e-commerce site that also sells books, I got reminded that I've yet to read the 'TFA' sequels. Typically, I forgot about it within days.

I must now buy 'No Longer At Ease' and 'Arrow of God'.

('Anthills of the Savannah' can possibly afford to wait.)
Aparna said…
Very interesting post, Saju. I've never read Achebe (among the many I have not) and this makes me want to read him.
Re your habit of not folding down pages - I too used to feel that way, but sometimes, when I'm reading to review and dont have a paper/ comp on hand, I do fold down the pages that move/ strike me. Of course, only if its my own book; if not, i note the page number somewhere, even on my phone...
That folded down page's passage was indeed interesting! I like his language too - very neat...
Will try and get hold of his book...
thanks for sharing :)
mtsaju said…
'Ajnabi' and Achebe...That's quite interesting... Thanks for an insightful comment, Valsan...
mtsaju said…
Thanks, Aparna...
Good one I like it
Very interesting and informative write up. Jambulingam
mtsaju said…
Thanks, Shinod, Jambulingam sir...
Usha said…
Will get things fall apart soon I guess. But the anthills of the Savannah sounds like a very catchy name too. Thanks for sharing this post Saju.

Popular posts from this blog

A Gandhian's 'vintage' collection

Silencer Boy