Thalakkari in Krishnagiri

I love rains. But I was a bit angry when it suddenly started pouring as I reached Krishnagiri on my way to Hosur to attend a seminar a week ago. I stopped my bullet in front of a small hotel and walked in. The idea was to have a tea and wait there until the rains gets over. After seeing people eating porotta, I had a second thought. I asked the man what was available to eat? "Sir, Chapathi, porotta and Thalakkari," said the young owner of the hotel. I never tasted Thalakkari in my life, but that was the only curry-item available now. I told him to give two porottas and a plate of Thalakkari. The man asked the old lady to clean my table. A plastic plate covered with a plantain leaf was placed in front of me. I started eating the porotta, looking at the Thalakkari. Bones in different sizes and shapes. I literally struggled, after trying to bite the fleshy parts from the bones. But eating Thalakkari is an art in itself. I somehow finished the porottas with the help of the gravy. It made a huge noise when the rain water fell on the tin roof of the hotel.
Apparently, rain stopped after ten minutes. And I got up. The owner asked me, "Sir, why didn't you eat the Thalakkari?". I didn't expect a question like this from him. In city hotels, they don't care whether you eat or not. But this man was different. He was very upset that I left the Thalakkari and he wanted to know why. I immediately found an excuse. "Rain has stopped, and I have to reach Hosur in an hour," I told him. He was not very keen on taking money from me. I came out and started my Bullet. Was Thalakkari a wrong choice during the rain? No idea. But the hotel owner's question reverberated, seeking a clear answer from me. At 80kmph, my Bullet soon overtook the bony Thalakkari thoughts but the question... 

Comments

Salil said…
I had a similar attukal paya experience at an eatery in Chennai.
mtsaju said…
Yeah, paya is smooth unlike the bony pieces in Thalakkari...
mtsaju said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

A Gandhian's 'vintage' collection

Silencer Boy

Hamara ‘Baa Jaaaj’…